Microsoft opened up the information floodgates this morning, within the kick off to its annual Encourage occasion in Vegas. One of many extra compelling bulletins of the bunch is the addition of a free model of Groups.
The Slack competitor has been kicking round in some type or different since late-2016, however the $60 a 12 months price has possible made it a little bit of a nonstarter for smaller companies. In spite of everything, it’s Slack’s free tier that helped the work chat app acquire a lot traction so shortly. A free model makes plenty of sense for Microsoft.
Signing customers up for Groups is technique to get extra toes into the door of its software ecosystem, which was as soon as ubiquitous in workplaces. As soon as they’ve obtain groups, workplaces shall be hooked into the Microsoft 365 suite.
The free tier truly brings a good bit of the app to as much as 300 folks per office. Right here’s the complete rundown of options per Microsoft,
- Limitless chat messages and search.
- Constructed-in audio and video calling for people, teams, and full workforce meetups.
- 10 GB of workforce file storage plus further 2 GB per individual for private storage.
- Built-in, real-time content material creation with Workplace On-line apps, together with built-in Phrase, Excel, PowerPoint, and OneNote.
- Limitless app integrations with 140+ enterprise apps to select from—together with Adobe, Evernote, and Trello.
- Capability to speak and collaborate with anybody inside or outdoors your group, backed by Microsoft’s safe, international infrastructure.
The corporate’s finished an excellent job hooking in enterprise clients, however because it notes, SMBs represent 90+ p.c of companies globally, in order that’s a complete lot extra units to faucet into. The free tier is offered in 40 languages beginning right this moment.